Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

lundi, juin 14, 2004

Clothes Drying Nirvana

My eighteen-year-old son is staying with me for the summer. He suggested that I purchase a clothes drier so the towels would be softer. I told him that the rough towels act as a beauty treatment by scrubbing away his dead skin cells, and that people pay lots of money for spa treatments that produce the same results.

He still thought I should buy a drier.

But I won't. This morning I was out at 8am hanging the washed clothes on the line. My lines are under trees and arching bushes, so I can't go out any earlier as I would run the risk of attracting bird droppings on the washing if I don't give the birds enough time to perform their morning toilette. They get me up at 5:30am when they awaken, so 8am is a safe time.

This morning the air was cool and a slight breeze was blowing. The sun was starting to peek over the high eastern hills. Bees were busy buzzing in a nearby tree. The birds were sweetly serenading me. I could smell the lavender as it put out it's first summer blooms attempting to overpower the gentle scents of the roses. Nearby, the rabbit munched on his dandelions and the two sheep, Blanche and Olympia, were eating ivy off of a pine tree.

If there is a heaven on Earth, then this was as close as it gets. And it is because of these "forced" experiences with Nature, where I must go out of the house into my laundry garden in order to dry my clothes, that I don't want to have an electric or gas clothes drier.

My life is much richer and happier because I lack this piece of modern technology.

Of course, my eighteen-year-old son doesn't understand my line of thought. He just wants soft towels.