Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, octobre 26, 2005

Ugly Americans . . .not my imagination

Seems the NY Times business section has discovered that Ugly Americans hurt the bottom line.

I'm happy to see that my "paranoid" rantings are being validated in the mainstream press.

Had a little neighborhood aperitif for St. Roger tonight . . .had a dinner for him this past Saturday . . .today is his seventy-seventh birthday. I made my famous Roquefort/onion/smoked bacon/walnut quiche, and some little chesse puffs to go with the champagne. Francine performed her "Happy Birthday" imitation of Marilyn Monroe.

One of the neighbors reported on a rumor going around that a French family has purchased a house that was for sale in our immediate area. They were living in Florida and just couldn't take:
  • the crime
  • the commuting
  • the frenetic pace of life
  • the rudeness of Americans
  • the hurricaines

The neighbors volunteered to take care of the sheep and the chickens if I go back to the States with the husband . . .but they said we have to put Attilla in a dog pension. You know you have GREAT FRIENDS when they volunteer to take care of your sheep and chickens.

Unfortunately, I can't take them up on their offer because the new puppy is arriving within the week. Stay tuned for really cute photos.

The chickens are on strike. I had to buy a dozen eggs today. According to Yvette, the neighborhood chicken expert, I'll be getting eggs in a month . . .if my understanding of her French was correct, chickens only lay eggs every other month.

Went to lunch yesterday with the husband and our friend Nathalie. We were discussing the fact that the sheep shearer never showed up. I said we could wait until spring. Nathalie sighed and said she'd have to help me clip the sheep again. The husband suggested we use NAIR HAIR REMOVAL! We had a good laugh.