Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, janvier 11, 2006

The Lingerie Shop



I've often discussed on this blog how what I want and need always shows up at my doorstep if I'm just patient and wait long enough.

For instance, about a month ago, I started lining up rocks on our driveway, altering them each day, to create the perfect curve where the asphalt meets the lawn. I hate asphalt, and we have a lot of it left over from the days when this place was a working flour mill and frequented by large delivery trucks.

I sort of became obsessed with this curve . . . sitting at my kitchen table in the morning I'd see a rock that seemed out of line and hop up from the table, run outside and alter it's position . . . trying to create the "perfect" curve .

Altering the curve wouldn't be that easy. I'd have to discuss it with the Husband . . .there would be a lot of asphalt to rip out and the Husband would probably debate me about removing it, as it would be a big job and we have a lot more pressing renovations to do here then to make a curve more asthetic . .. . and besides, he didn't see anything wrong with the present curve . . . and, as it was he didn't like the rocks laid out on the existing driveway . . . he worried that someone would wreck their car on them.

None of our visitors made any comments, but I assumed that everyone who saw the line of rocks thought it was a very odd obstacle to have cutting through one's driveway for no good reason.

Then, unexpectedly and "miraculously" a huge backhoe showed up on the 2nd of January to put in our new septic tank.

I asked the workmen if they would pull up all the asphalt that I had marked out with my rocks . . . they readily agreed and it only took them about 5 minutes!

So now my driveway looks perfect to me! And the Husband likes the curve too . . . because he didn't have to dig out the asphalt and it pleases me.

Along the same line of getting what you want if you're just patient . . . last year, I got this idea to go out and buy fancy French lingerie.

No one does lingerie better than the French. And the good stuff is still all manufactured in France, not in China. The manufacturers actually have a group that they put together to make sure that the quality lingerie is still made in France.

I researched French lingerie on the web, and came up with the brand I wanted --- Aubade -- but couldn't find any in the stores I visited. So I went back to the States without my lingerie.

Well lo and behold, a lingerie store opened up in my little village of 4,000 people and the main brand is, you guessed it, Aubade.

(Cultural warning to tourists: Unlike American saleswomen, French saleswomen will NOT knock on the dressing room door nor give you any warning before they enter.)

So I splurged and bought three sets of really cool bras and panties . . . and when I'm wearing them, I feel very, very FRENCH!

I'm just amazed at what the shops in my little village offer . . . I really don't have to go anywhere to go shopping. Everything I need is right here in this little slice of heaven.

I'm going out now, to take a long walk to keep my derriere in shape for my new French lingerie.