Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mardi, août 22, 2006

The Vanishing American Vacation

Here's the Last Chance for Democracy Cafe's analysis of a New York Times' article about the lamentable fact that Americans just aren't taking long vacations any more.

I just walked in the door after spending three days in Paris where I hardly heard a French word spoken. The Parisiens are on vacation; leaving their city to be overrun with ITALIANS! Alitalia must have had an August fare sale.

Next time we're taking Attila and Antoinette . . . Paris is a city that loves dogs. Dogs in restaurants. Dogs in dog apparel stores. There were dogs everywhere I looked . . . marking car tires, standing in line for ice cream, getting groomed. The street that leads to the Louvre and runs along the Seine is filled with stores that sell dogs.

I can tell I've become a dog person, as I never noticed those shops before in all my previous visits to Paris.

2 Comments:

At août 23, 2006 12:15 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Hmm, as I recall there's also a lot of dog shit on the streets of Paris. Coincidence?

 
At août 23, 2006 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Jean, I like your gravatar.

Yes, one must walk the streets of Paris with eyes lowered, scanning the sidewalks. (Although a new law passed a few years ago is making the situation better.)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home