Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, septembre 01, 2004

Happy Anniversary

Today is my ninth wedding anniversary. It's also the ninth anniversary that my husband and I have been apart. I've always been in France. Usually with my girlfriend Laurie. One year she took me to the beach at St. Tropez for my anniversary where I spent the day surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of dangling penises. Still, I only dreamed of my husband Craig. That's true love.

I don't know why I had the great luck to bump into Craig and marry him. He wasn't at all what I thought my "dream man" should be. He drove a beat up Lincoln Continental. (Well, maybe it was only beat up after I started driving it.) He wasn't interested in material possessions. (Well, maybe he would be if he hadn't aquired me and was frightened off by the expsense of chasing my crazy ideas.) He rarely dresses up. (Even though he is extremely handsome in a suit and tie, but hey, it keeps the other superficial women away from him.)

But as I've written before, we often get what we really desire and need if we just don't force the issue. And so, I end up with the man who is "perfect" for me. We agree on everything. (Except how I spend money and how he dresses himself from the Costco shelves. Perhaps in that statement there's a cause and effect I haven't been grasping before.) We spend all our free time together. (Except when I'm in France.) He loves my son Preston. He tolerates my sheep fetish. He falls for and finances my silly dreams. He doesn't care if I don't cook very often. He raves about my cooking whenever I do cook. He brings me a tray of tea every morning when he wakes me up at 5am. He doesn't watch sports. He doesn't gamble. (Unless you count being a professional option trader as gambling.) He doesn't get drunk. (I guess that's because he has to drive me home when I've had too much.) He knows art. He knows good wine. He's brilliant and witty. He's humble. He's kind. He's humorous. He's a great lover. Yikes. I better stop writing about him because I'm crying now. This has to be the first time I've cried on my wedding anniversary.