Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

vendredi, juillet 08, 2005

Operation Buck

We're all quite excited here this morning. Corinne called the sheep man and arranged for us to go to his farm on Saturday morning, he'll have the coffee ready, and we'll pick out our four new sheep . . . along with Monsieur Buck.

They'll all have black eyes and black ears . . . and some of them may have black markings on their face that look as if they're sporting huge smiles.

The sheep man, Monsieur Dardennes, is willing to deliver them for 20E which we'll take him up on.

When I picked up Blanche, and the late Olympia, I put them in the trunk of the rental car . . . it was a bit messy. Now that we have our very own car I'm a bit sensitive about hauling livestock around in it . . . and I have forbidden my husband from eating in it. Having just said that, I'm now fretting that at this very moment he's eating in it as he returns from his morning bakery run.

We haven't owned a car since 1996. Which means I haven't washed a car or had to service a car in nine years. I've been quite spoiled not having a car. And God only knows how many pounds I didn't put on because I had to do a lot of hiking around San Francisco.

I'm not quite sure if I like owning a car. I really don't like being obsessed about it's cleanliness or if someone's going to ding me . . . or even having to contemplate the price of gasoline. And since it's black, a quality that Roger correctly pointed out would cause it to look dirtier sooner than a light colored car, I'm going to be obsessing about when to wash it . . . I should wash it today, but it looks like it might rain. You see my dilemna.

My husband is going to the lumber yard today to pick up the sacks of cement and other sordid things that he needs to fix and expand the terrace and I'm trembling as I wait to inspect what condition the car will be in when he returns. It will probably be filled with bread crumbs and cement dust.

My Zen state has totally been destroyed by this car! It is cute though.