Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

vendredi, février 17, 2006

The Next Big Thing . . .

This "phenomenon" couldn't happen soon enough in America. People making a vow not to buy anything new for a year except food, medical needs, and underwear. I hope it sweeps France before they build another foundation for another box store.

You can blame this on E-Bay:

"People seem very threatened by it," she said. "But people all over the world live this way all the time. It's not like it's some revolutionary, or even consistent, thing we're doing. But I have been furiously questioned by some people about it -- one person said, 'I bet you still buy gas.' "
That sort of response is exactly why the Compact is needed, Perry said.
"If it's national news when a small group of professionals decide not to buy anything new, and it bothers people so much, it really speaks to how deep we are into consumerism in this country," he said.


The problem is, that once people reprogram themselves into this mode of buying used, they won't quit. For the past year I've only been buying things for the house at auctions . . .even my dish towels. You really see how much STUFF is worth when you see it up for auction . . . and it's not worth much!

3 Comments:

At février 17, 2006 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I love your blog. Keep it up!
I've been shopping for gently used items for years, ever since the price for the dish pattern I chose at my engagement went from $13 a place setting to $135 within a period of 5 years, and the crystal glasses followed suit at a more alarming rate. I sold the dishes and the crystal when I realized I could not be a slave to things.
My clothes are mostly gently used, my current dishes I bought at an auction house - they are lovely and I'm not paranoid about damaging them but they're mine, have a history, so I'm still very careful with them. All of my furniture is second hand - some of them are now classified as antiques, which is rather funny since I bought most of them at auctions or second hand outlets before the antique craze started. My linens are all hand-me-downs or from substandard outlets and only when I absolutely need a replacement.
It wasn't that I couldn't afford new stuff, but I couldn't see the sense of unbridled consumerism. Unfortunatly, with the explosion of computer technology, I spent a bunch on computers for the kids. They're leaving home now, so that phase is over. It will take me a few years to pay off the resultant debts, but I lost my mind and I have to pay for that. Never again. It's great to see that others are finally getting with the program.
My hope is that this spreads faster than wildfire. Perhaps then, we will see a return to sanity.

 
At février 17, 2006 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

P.S. Thank goodness you have changed the requirements for comments. I've tried before, but the requirement was for a blogger identity, and I'm only a wanderer.
Blanche is beautiful, much like the warrior women of myth. I liken her to Artemis, the huntress.

 
At février 21, 2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Libby said...

Sgt-Marks-a-Lot,

I have only written about an "amateur" shearing that my girlfriend Nathalie and I performed on Blanche last spring . . . with hand scissors!

The before and after photos are humorous . . .with Blanche covered with blue antiseptic spray!

Soixante-Douze will be two years old this spring, and has never been sheared.

It's not that I haven't tried to get a professional out here . . .it's just that I'm on the wrong side of the departmement, I'm not in sheep country, and the shearers, of which there are only a couple, don't want to come out here for my small flock.

However, the gang will get sheared this year . . .unfortunately, they will probably be cold for a while, as I will have to schedule the shearer EARLY before he gets busy with the big flocks.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home