Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

lundi, avril 17, 2006

Yikes!

I'm at an internet cafe in Montana. I was in the middle of writing a happy blog post about having just been granted my long stay visa by the French government, when two of the cafe staff ran to the back of the establishment.

My internet access went dead.

There are three computers for the customers and I had been the only person on them. But when the computer went dead, I stood up to leave. A man I hadn't noticed before said to me, "I suppose we're going to fight over this computer."

I replied, "No, you can have it. I'm leaving."

He went to the counter and ordered a drink to go.

The clerk saw me leaving and took me aside to explain that they shut the computers off so this man would leave. He has been harrassing the female employees. The manager went to the bank and won't be back for an hour, and they can't kick him out without the manager.

The police have chatted with this guy, but he won't stop harrassing the employees. It's so bad that the manager makes sure that there is always a man working with the women.

The guy left. I left. I saw him walk around the corner, so I returned. Then he returned. He's sitting in the front of the cafe now, away from the computers. Hopefully he won't go postal and start shooting us.

Oh, how I miss la belle France . . . the Husband, Blanche, Beau, Biberon, Antoinette, Attila, les chats, les poules, and le coq!