Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

jeudi, juillet 06, 2006

I’m sure getting tired of walking out in the field every few hours and lifting up Blanche’s tail to see if anything new is developing.

Yesterday evening, Blanche wouldn’t get up, so I was certain she would hatch. Especially since we were going to spend the evening at Roger’s watching France play in the World Cup.

The Husband was kind enough to go out during a rainstorm at halftime and lift up Blanche’s tail for me.

This morning, Blanche was full of energy, and shows no sign of going into labor. I fed her the geranium clippings. The other sheep aren’t interested in geraniums. Blanche developed her geranium addiction when she was a youngster and I let her roam freely around, and into, the house.

I feel badly for our only lamb. He doesn’t have any other lambs with which he can run around and play. He tries to engage the older sheep in his jocularity, but they just butt him out of the way. Sometimes I catch him playing with the cat.

The Progeny named the lamb "Lambchop."

Leonce, our eighty-two year old neighbor, is building a stone shepherd’s hut for us. The Progeny wanted to build a stone house after reading a book about Jung. Jung spent his free time building stone edifices. So now the entire family is learning about serfdom. We are at the mercy of Leonce. Whenever he bicycles into the driveway, we must drop what we’re doing and start shoveling sand or hauling rocks or drive into town on some errand.

Hopefully I’ll be able to organize myself to post some photos of Lambchop, pregnant Blanche, and the shepherd’s hut for you . . . oh, and the beautiful terrace with all the potted flowers blooming.