Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

jeudi, mars 17, 2005

The Failure of the French Paradox

Here’s my simple, eat what you want, never-fail, quickie diet:


1. Exchange your car for a bicycle.
2. Move at least six miles
from the nearest source of food.
3. Eat only the food that you can
transport home on your bicycle.



On the way into town yesterday on my bicycle, I passed by a neighbor’s house that was being emptied out. Madame and Monsieur Garrit had moved to the maison de retrait, the nursing home. A man I had never seen before was hauling away all their things. Their next-door niece told me that they are both in really bad health and won’t live too much longer.

The niece will rent out the house, and I can bet it won’t be to an interesting ex-WWII German prisoner of war like Paul Garrit. I mourn the sad passing of another piece of the vrai France.

When we bought the Moulin in 2001, Madame Garrit was a good looking, spry 91 year- old who could pass for an ingénue in her sixties. Her husband was a lively 81 year-old. I asked Madame what her secret was. Was it the red wine? Non, I only drink a half a glass with dinner. Was it the foie gras? (That’s a theory of Jacques Pepin.) Non, I only eat that at Christmas. Well what do you think it is? She replied without hesitation. The hard work in the fields!

Hard work in the fields!

Her answer was a disappointment for her secret certainly couldn’t be turned into a best seller that would be gobbled up by American suburbanites.

(American lifespans decreasing.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/17/health/17obese.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1111035738-yghSNykk/9SXqSZ1G59cwQ

The French Paradox was discovered in this area of France. On average the women live eight years longer in this area than they do in the United States. And yes, I’m afraid that the answer to longevity and youth is not as simple and as fun as drinking red wine. From my “research” it’s a combination of physical exertion, daily interaction with nature (usually in the form of work in the fields and vineyards), not overeating, and eating foods as close to their natural state as possible, avoiding processed foods altogether. It’s not a combo that is eagerly imitated in the “I want it this minute” modern world.

The sad news I have to report, is that eventually, even the French Paradox fails. I’m sorry to be the one to break the news to you, but our bodies are wired to poop out at some point, and more likely than not, before the age of 100 no matter how rigorous we are in monitoring our lifestyle habits. One minute you’re kicking up your heels at the village dance, the next thing you know you’ve kicked the bucket and your friends that can walk are carrying you to your tomb in the village cemetery. This is all the more reason to try and adopt the French lifestyle of emphasizing long meals, made with the best ingredients available, eaten at the table, with good friends and family.