Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

vendredi, novembre 04, 2005

Dear Reader . . .

Would you comment on our seemingly unending American quest for a better zip
code, (schools, parks, public amenities, Huck Finn's or was it Jim's "Territory
Ahead". While Huck and Jim didn't give a hoot about school.. that American
impulse is still there.) As you have found the perfect Zip in relatively obscure
(not Provence) area of France, how do you view your quest? Is yours the
culmination of the American Dream... to live abroad, The new Territory Ahead
under the Neocon Regime, or is yours a rejection of it.



Dear Reader,

No, I don’t view my move to France as a CULMINATION of the American Dream. I view it as a REJECTION of the American Dream.

I really was tired of the endless seeking, the endless consuming.

I just wanted to escape back to my Ohio farm roots; but the Ohio farm was surrounded by suburban developments.

I was searching for contentment. That’s something I couldn’t find in the U.S. . . .within myself, or the people I know there.

The unending American quest of which you write, that treadmill existence, that’s what was driving me nuts.

All the best,
Libby

1 Comments:

At novembre 05, 2005 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Right On! 007.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home