Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

vendredi, juillet 21, 2006

Blanche is a Mother!

Blanche gave birth yesterday to twins. I called a Dutch neighbor who had previously worked in a laboratory that studied sheep and was in charge of the birthing for six-hundred ewes; because I was worried that Blanche was so big she might have trouble.

I don't know if calling him was beneficial or not. Blanche had a male and a female. The male came out first. The female, was backwards, and when the man pulled her out, she was dead.

As is the case with all disasters, there is a lot of second guessing. I keep wondering if all his fishing around in Blanche's body had anything to do with the death. The female lamb looked perfect, in fact, bigger than the male.

I would have preferred that the female had lived, because I really wanted a little "Blanchette" and I don't need another buck. So this means that Blanche's male offspring will be going to the butcher. (His markings aren't as good as Lambchop's.)

The day before, I had just had a discussion about the emphasis on looks in society with a friend from the States, trying to explain why I don't often wear make-up; and then I'm forced to decide who lives or dies based on how good-looking they are.

My little friend Marleyna was here to witness the birth. She insisted we name the new lamb. I didn't really want to because I don't want to get attached to him. But we decided on "Marley." That's a male version of Marleyna, and it's the name of the book Marleyna is reading at the moment.

Should have photos to post soon.

The Progeny returns to the States today. The Husband and I took him out for his ritual foiegras extravaganza before departing dinner.

Oh, and can't forget, we attended a Canned Heat concert in our town! The Husband was so amazed and happy.

1 Comments:

At juillet 23, 2006 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm sad that the female was still born, but that is life. Now that you've named the male, are you honestly going to give him up? Oops, you've become a sheep herder, unbeknownst to yourself, so you will do whatever is necessary and that is right.
Take care - As I've said before, I really love your blog. It offers me an escape and a modicum of peace. Thanks again

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home