Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, juillet 26, 2006

Hot Enough For You?

Blanche is doing better. Her big bag is shrinking so I imagine that her physical pain is going away. Last night, I found her away from her flock, nibbling the meager grass offerings near her shed. She followed me out to the flock when I went to check on them. Beau sniffed her to see if there was any action to be had; there wasn’t so he sidled up to one of the yearling ewes. Blanche stayed with the flock, but on the periphery.

Weather is hot here. Whenever one of the natives mentions that fact, I tell them that California is having a heat wave along with electricity blackouts. They look puzzled for a few seconds and then just as I open my mouth to explain, they fill in the blank, “Ahhh, la climatisation!”

Our garden has kicked into full production . . . just as all our guests left. So now the Husband and I are consuming a vegetarian diet. After just two days of the regimen, I am amazed at how much more energy I have. Yesterday, I had no desire to take an afternoon siesta . . . even in the blazing heat.

The Husband ordered some grass carp to throw in the mill pond. They will supposedly rid the pond of a lot of plants that are choking it; but the fish farmer came out to visit and told the Husband that it’s too hot to throw the fish in the water.

Our long haired, black dogs sit on the shady side of the terrace and pant all day. The sheep roast in their sheds. The chickens are the only ones who seem unaffected. They ceaselessly wander the grounds all day and come 19:30 hours, they are waiting to be locked in their coop despite the fact that the temperature inside is oven-like.

I’m not getting many eggs from them lately. I don’t know if the chickens are on strike or if the rat is just more efficient.