Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mardi, janvier 17, 2006

Spent the morning picking rocks out of the pasture while the sheep grazed nearby. The little stones I threw in the creek. The large rocks I layered on my rose garden wall.

According to Roger, and an old map he once showed me, the rocks used to be part of an old road that was abandoned in the early 1800's. So the rocks come ready to set in the wall . . . no chiseling required.
I appreciate the serfs that made the old road and its walls . . .they saved me a lot of work.

Unfortunately, what must have been a really quaint road is gone . . .I have to dig the rocks out of the earth. Now, there's an asphalt one taking it's place . . .and when a large truck comes along, the sheep are frightened and run.

I've only been taking one dog out at a time when I graze the sheep . . .today was Attila's turn.

He did a good job of keeping the sheep away from the road.

Roger walked across the road and told me that if I wanted to graze the sheep on his part of the adjacent pasture, that was fine with him. I told him I had already been stealing his rocks. He said that was fine with him too.