Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

dimanche, février 26, 2006

The Husband arrives Wednesday and we're all excited.

Attila, because the husband pays more attention to him than I do.

Antoinette, because she'll have me all to herself.

The sheep because they can remain outside as soon as the Husband repairs their fence.


Me, because I'll have someone to take me out to dinner! I'm really tired of my buttered popcorn diet.

This morning, when I went out to feed the sheep, there was frost on the ground.

I like it when it's frosty out . . .the dog poops are much easier to scoop up.
Then, when I went to take a hike this afternoon, it was uncomfortably warm for a bit, if not downright hot. The chickens are laying on all three cylinders . . .spring must be here.

The progeny brought up an interesting theory about Blanche and Beau. He feels that Blanche will not let Beau copulate with her because Blanche doesn't feel that Beau is superior to her. He's a young buck, shorter, and weighs less than she does. Blanche is looking for someone to look up to. She looks down on little Beau.

Based on my daily, blow-by-blow description of what's going on in the bergerie, my son believes that Beau is now OBSESSED with laying Blanche and is ignoring the other ewes.

Blanche seems to successfully thwart Beau's every move. She pees. He sniffs and gets excited. Blanche turns around and butts him in the head. He retreats to a quiet corner of the bergerie to contemplate his next move.

This morning I showed up with the grain bucket, and was greeted at the gate by seven of the sheep . . . Blanche and Beau were missing. I thought that perhaps they were doing the deed. But when I looked through the gate, I saw them off to the side of the bergerie. . . ramming each other in the head.

So there may not be any little lambs this spring . . .I'll have to think of some other project to keep the Husband out of mischief.

2 Comments:

At février 27, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Libby said...

Durrati,
That's what I suspected before. But after weeks of it, I think it's just Blanche harrassing Beau.

 
At février 27, 2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Give Blanche some time. She's obviously a lady of refinement and isn't going to get involved until she's sure Beau is truly worthy.
Funny the first signs of spring. It's cold here, but the robins are already back - or perhaps they never left, which is very unusual. They don't normally like Canadian winters, but it's been warmer than usual in Ontario this year.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home