Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, mai 03, 2006

Spring Flowers

The dogs kept us awake all night barking at wildlife in the woods.

I was so tired when I woke up that I didn’t think I would be able to lift a tea cup to my lips. Surprisingly, I found a burst of energy and ended up spending the morning, and part of the afternoon, working on my stone fence, pulling weeds and planting flowers.

Around 11am Craig and I drove into the village, where Craig dropped off the flat tire for the riding lawn mower. Both of our mowers are out of commission. Hopefully one will be fixed soon. In case they aren’t, we’re keeping machetes in the house in order to hack our way out to civilization.

The walnut trees are blossoming, along with the chestnuts, lilacs, and irises. Looking out the kitchen window at our park, I see a giant, living, Monet canvas.

We also went to the local nursery today and purchased enough geraniums, hibiscus, and double impatiens to finish planting the pots that line our terrace. Craig had made a good start with the planting while I was gone, but suffered a setback when a frost hit.

The road between our village and the greenhouse is undergoing construction. It appears that they’re redoing the road to make it easier for more large box stores to sink their tentacles into the unsuspecting earth. The sight made me very unhappy; and so I took us on a different, more idyllic way home from the nursery.

Consumed with regret for the views that were destroyed by the construction, I wondered how long it will take before there are no idyllic ways left to drive home.