Libby Pratt

Life on a French Farm

mercredi, octobre 18, 2006

Nuts Winding Down

The Husband asked me to report on the fact that he feeds the dogs walnuts . . .so they'll get their Omega-3 fatty acids and live to a ripe old age.

The nut harvest is winding down early this year. Usually it goes into the first week of November. But we had a cold August and September and I think that's the reason the nuts fell pretty quickly . . . just three weeks of harvesting as compared to the usual six. So we'll be winding up the harvest over the next days.

We don't have as many nuts as usual, but they weren't as buggy this year as in prior years.

On Friday, Lambchop will have made it a month past his "death date." So he's officially too old to be eaten by the French . . . the butcher said that if I wanted to sell Lambchop to him, it had to be on the 20th of September . . . I still need to hide Lambchop from the mutton-eaters -- the British.

He's very cute and very fat. Although he has no interest in being cuddled . . . his father Beau is a big cuddler. Lambchop still hangs around with his mother . . . although she no longer has any interest in him.

1 Comments:

At octobre 19, 2006 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Bless Lambchop, but what are you going to do with him? I'm not a farmer, for a reason. Once upon a time, I wanted to go there, but someone advised me that it required a certain ability that I just did not have - the ability to not make the farm animals pets and to decide when and where their future lie. I would have a farm full of graciously aging animals who had the run of the place, and would be totally ruined financially from trying to keep them in feed.
The dogs eat walnuts? I'm amazed. I thought Holmes was a bit strange cause he like salad (as long as it was drenched in his favourite salad dressing) and he loved mushrooms, but I've never heard of a dog that ate walnuts. Holmes got his Omega three through leftover Salmon!
And thank you for your previous suggestion, but I'm getting too sappy and too old to get another dog. The death of the last two was just too much for me emotionally, so I live vicariously through yours and my sisters.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home